My Pinball Arcade Reviews Part 5

Time for the fifth installment in the My Pinball Arcade Reviews Series. Part 6 will feature the last 2 tables plus a review of their newest entry Party Zone which is due out in November as well as Ghostbusters Pinball which is currently only available for Google Play and Iphone and Ipad users. Bummer because from what little I've played of it its awesome. Wouldn't mind seeing it on my PC or Kindle.

Space Shuttle

This space themed classic from 1984 literally revitalized pinball sales which had slumped in previous years. In this classic you are Mission Control. You must launch the space shuttle, Lock balls for 2 and three ball Multiball and of course score astronomical amounts of points. There's even a toy space shuttle on the playfield. I have fond memories of playing this one at the local Circle K as a teenager. 5 stars and a satellite go to this classic space case.

Star Trek: The Next Generation

This classic from 1993 is based on the hit television show. Players get to play alongside their favorite characters. Even Q drops in as a character in one of the 8 missions. Video modes include guiding a shuttle through a wormhole. When all the missions are completed you get a final Multiball confrontation. Trust me it is not to be missed. As a pinball fanatic and closet Trekkie, I love this game. I have fond memories of playing this for hours at the same location as I played The Addams Family. In fact I think I enjoyed a few Big Macs while playing this on as well. I stopped counting the number of times i was taunted by Data saying "If you had guided the ball on the proper trajectory you would have been rewarded." (Thanks a lot Captain Obvious). I give this Starfleet Academy graduate 6 stars and a Klingon salute.

Tales Of The Arabian Nights

This desert jewel from 1996 is the free table that comes standard with every version of Pinball Arcade. In this game you must rescue a fair maiden from the clutches of an evil genie who taunts all foes. There's a spinning Aladdin's Lamp, a genie to shoot balls at and flying carpet ramps. Pretty darn good for a freebie. 4 1/2 stars and a sim sim alla bim go to this magic carpet ride.

Taxi

This classic from 1988 puts players in the role of a New York City cabbie. Your goal is to pick up a crazy assortment of characters including Santa Clause, Dracula and Pin Bot. Gee I seem to recall mentioning him appearing in this game in an earlier post. The Spin Out Skill Shot is really cool. So is 2 ball Multiball. In a side note, in early versions of this table Marilyn Monroe was one of the characters you had to pick up but her estate threw a tizzy fit and demanded royalties so Williams replaced her in later versions with Lola. (Thanks for the info Chris Bucci. I have fond memories of playing Taxi at my local bowling alley. 5 stars and two beeps of the horn go out to this taxi driver. You talkin' to me?

Tee'd Off

This golf inspired pin from 1993 is kinda like No Good Gofers' mild mannered cousin. Sure there's plenty of humor but there's only one gopher and his comments aren't nearly as snarky as Bud and Spuds are. Nonetheless it's still an awesome game. There's a Roulette Gopher Wheel where you have to spell gopher, a volcano upkicker, and more. And instead of matching the last numbers of your score for an extras credit, the gopher wheel spins and if you get the letter shown throws an extra 5,000,000 points onto your score. Got a few last minute extra balls from that feature. All in all this above par performance gets 4 1/2 stars and a FORE. I'm gettin' pretty tee'd off.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

This 1991 classic is considered to be one of the all time best. Based on the movie, this game delivers all the action and excitement of the Schwartzenegger classic. It was the first Williams table to include such things as a dot matrix display, a video mode and others. Even the gun grip that replaced the plunger is awesome. It was one of two tables that I know of that required a Kickstarter campaign to pay for the licensing fees. The other of course was Thae Addams Family. 5 stars and a grenade launcher go to this bad boy. Hasta La Vista Baby.

Theatre Of Magic

This magical table from 1995 puts players in a theatre of magical wonders where balls levitate and disappear. There's a magic trunk, a mysterious trap door that leads to a haunted basement, and 8 astounding illusions waiting to be mastered. This is another performance not to be missed. 5 magic stars go to this show stopper.

The Twilight Zone

This classic 1993 table is based on the classic TV series. When it was released it was the most complex pinball machine ever. It includes such features as a gumball machine, magnetic flippers, and a ceramic ball called the power ball that looked like a real human eye. Creepy but fun. I remember playing this at my local Tilt! arcade. Twilight Zone was one of 2 pinball machines that I ever saw in that place. The other was Stanley Cup. (I think that was the name of it. It was hockey themed.) Anyhoo, This machine even contains a remarkable impersonation of the voice of Rod Serling, the shows host. I give it 5 stars and the key to imagination. You've just crossed over into The Twilight Zone.

Victory

This auto racing based table from 1987 has players trying to complete an auto race by making certain shots known as checkpoints. This is no mean feat as there are over 20 of them and until you've played it a dozen or so times, you don't know where most of them are. (Heck I've played it twice as many times and still don't know.) Other than that it's a nice waste of an afternoon. I give it a solid 4 stars and a Get Outta my Way.

Whirlwind

This 1990 classic is one of the tables I played at that now out of business arcade I referenced in earlier posts. (Not Tilt! They're still in business.) There was Whirlwind, The Simpsons, Star Trek: TNG, The Addams Family and a billiards themed table named Pool Sharks. This is one of two disaster themed tables. The other was Earthshakers. You're engulfed in a storm chasers dream come true. There was a real working fan on top of the backglass that blew wind in your face when the storm was going, spinning discs on the field to affect the balls path, cellar holes and other awesome goodies. Playing Whirlwind made me happier than a tornado in a trailer park. (I know I stole that from Larry The Cable Guy. So sue me its funny.) I give this blowhard 5 stars. Feel the power of the wind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Music 06/03/2018

Random Music 06/03/2018 Pt. 2

Jokes 06/02/2018 Pt. 2